top of page
  • Norfolk Farms

Potatoes in the Norfolk area

DID YOU KNOW this about potatoes?


  • Approximately 20 producers in the area grow around 3600 acres of potatoes.

  • The sandy soils in the area contribute to these growers producing some of the highest quality potatoes in the Province. 

  • Mostly round white, yellow and red varieties for the fresh market although some produce potatoes for the process market. 

  • These growers are integral to ensuring consumers have steady access to quality potatoes year round as they are some of the earliest potatoes to go to market each growing season. 

  • Without the growers in this area, supply of Ontario fresh market potatoes throughout July and August would be limited.

  • Typically begin harvest mid-late July and market crop through to the end of October. Mostly early crop suppliers as the vast majority to do store potatoes throughout the winter months. 

  • Most of the product is for retail sales within Ontario however some growers ship some product to the United States. 

  • Potatoes are actually only about 20 per cent solid matter; the other 80 per cent is made up of water.

  • The humble potato is actually a pretty impressive food source. A medium-sized potato only has about 110 calories, but is 99.9 per cent fat free. Potatoes also contain vitamins B6, C, E, K, and minerals including potassium, magnesium and phosphorous.

  • Potatoes are a very versatile vegetable and can be cooked in a wide variety of ways: boiled, mashed, baked, roasted, fried, made into chips, added to soups and stews and more.

  • There are around 100 varieties of edible potatoes worldwide, and they come in a range of colours, including white, yellow, brown, red and purple.

  • Potatoes are the largest vegetable crop grown in Canada; they account for just over a quarter of all the vegetables grown here.

  • In October 1995, potatoes became the first vegetable to ever be grown in space.

  • If a potato is damaged or exposed to sunlight, that can cause it to produce toxins that can be harmful if eaten in large quantities (it also may taste bitter). So, if you see a green spot on a spud, cut if off.

  • If you want to make homemade potato chips, use a starchy variety, like Russets or Idahos, for the best results.



4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

コメント

5つ星のうち0と評価されています。
まだ評価がありません

評価を追加
bottom of page